Parent and Family Education Certificate
This certificate program is a special course of study which can be added to any graduate degree program. It may also be completed by a non-degree graduate student with special permission from the Coordinator. This certificate represents a concentration in theoretical and practical knowledge in parent and family education for community-based services. This course of study promotes collaboration among disciplines and services.
To participate in the program the student should:
- Be formally admitted to The University of Akron as a degree-seeking or non-degree graduate student.
- Contact the Coordinator of the program for requirements.
Students must successfully complete all three of the core courses listed below. However, the first two courses plus three hours of electives must be completed prior to the student’s enrollment in the practicum course.
- 3760:596 Parent Education (online) 3
- 3760:605 Developmental Parent-Child Interactions (online) 3
- 3760:594 Practicum in Parent & Family Education 3
Students must successfully complete six credits of coursework selected from among the various departmental courses listed below. These credits shall be chosen from departments outside the student’s discipline.
CHILD AND FAMILY DEVELOPMENT
- 3760:501 American Families in Poverty (online) (3 credits)
- 3760:504 Middle Childhood and Adolescence (online) (3 credits)
- 3760:540 Family Crisis (online) (3 credits)
- 3760:546 Culture, Ethnicity & Family (online) (3 credits)
- 3760:602 Family in Lifespan Perspective (3 credits)
- 3760:610 Child Development Theories (3 credits)
- 3760:665 Development in Infancy & Early Childhood (3 credits)
- 7750:685 Social Work Practice: Family & Children (3 credits)
- 7750:686 Social Welfare Policy & Services: Family & Children (3 credits)
- 8200:651 Child & Adolescent Health Nursing I (3 credits)
- 3750:530 Psychological Disorders of Children (4 credits)
- 5100:648 Individual & Family Development Across the Lifespan (3 credits)
- 5100:721 Learning Processes (3 credits)
Educational Guidance and Counseling
- 5600:646 Multicultural Counseling (3 credits)
- 5600:648 Individual & Family Development Across the Life-Span (3 credits)
- 5600:655 Marriage & Family Therapy: Theory & Techniques (3 credits)
- 5600:667 Marital Therapy (3 credits)
- 5600:669 Systems Theory in Family Therapy (3 credits)
- 5610:540 Developmental Characteristics of Exceptional Individuals (3 credits)
- 5610:559 Collaboration & Consultation in Schools & Community (3 credits)
- 5170:604 School Contexts and Community Involvement (3 credits)