About General Education in the College of Applied Science and Technology
All applied associate degree programs* offered within the College of Applied Science and Technology shall align with the General Education Guidelines established by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), with the minimum 15 credit hours distributed as follows:
- At least 1 course (3 credit hours) in Writing.
- At least 1 course (3 credit hours) in Speaking.
- At least 1 course (3 credit hours) in Mathematics
- At least 6 credit hours in the following categories:
- 3 credit hours in Social Sciences
- 3 credit hours in the Natural Sciences
- More than the minimum 15 credit hours is recommended.
- Programs are expected to use approved Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) courses.
Each program area (a) should choose the General Education requirements that are most appropriate for its degree(s), (b) should refer to The University of Akron’s General Education requirements for bachelor degrees when considering general education courses for applied associate degrees, and (c) is encouraged to select General Education coursework from the College of Applied Science and Technology, as listed below.
2020:121 English 3
2420:263 Professional Communications and Presentations 3
2030:152 Technical Mathematics II 2
2030:153 Technical Mathematics III 2
2030:161 Mathematics for Modern Technology 4
2040:240 Human Relations 3
2040:242 American Urban Society 3
2040:247 Survey of Basic Economics 3
2040:243 Contemporary Global Issues 3
2040:241 Technology & Human Values 2
2820:105 Basic Chemistry 3
2820:111 Introductory Chemistry 3
2820:112 Introductory & Analytical Chemistry 3
2820:160 Technical Physics: Mechanics 4
2820:163 Technical Physics: Electricity & Magnetism 2
2820:164 Technical Physics: Heat & Light 2
* Associate of Applied Business, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Technical Studies