Support Services for Students
Career Services assists students with career planning by offering programming, events, individual career advising and opportunities to network with employers for experiential learning and employment.
The Career Services staff is knowledgeable regarding current employment trends, in-demand jobs in Ohio, and internship and job search strategies. Career Advisors actively assist students at every stage of their career development. This includes exploring career paths, resume and cover letter writing skills, interview preparation, graduate school preparation, finding experiential learning opportunities such as internships or co-ops, and creating a job search strategy.
Handshake, UA’s online job board, is where students and alumni can apply for positions, connect with employers, register for events, download resources guides, schedule an appointment and more! Log in at http://uakron.joinhandshake.com with your UAnet ID and password.
Counseling and Testing Center
Phone – 330-972-7082
The Counseling and Testing Center provides comprehensive, culturally competent psychological counseling, career planning, educational counseling, testing, outreach and consulting services to the University community. The Center is staffed by a culturally diverse group of psychologists and psychology trainees. Counseling services are free and confidential to enrolled students. There is a fee for testing services.
Office of Accessibility
The goal of the Office of Accessibility is to provide reasonable accommodations and a supportive, well-resourced environment to students with disabilities in order to promote student success in the university environment. The mission of the Office of Accessibility is to provide students with full access to and the opportunity for full participation in the academic environment. We are advocates of social justice for students with disabilities and work to end oppression by examining social, cultural and institutional barriers to inclusion of all students. We embrace the diversity of our student body, and celebrate a culturally sensitive and accessible campus through outreach, partnership, and advocacy with all university departments.
Student Health Services
Phone – 330-972-7808
Student Health Services, located in Suite 260 of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, assists students in achieving their educational and personal goals by addressing their health care concerns while they are enrolled at The University of Akron. Our Advanced Practice Nurses are able to diagnose and treat illness, and perform screenings and physicals that will assist you in getting well and staying healthy.
Tutoring & Writing Centers
The University has two tutoring centers on campus that provide free assistance to currently enrolled students. The centers are located in Bierce Library and the Polsky Building.
- Bierce Writing Commons: For students seeking assistance with a paper assignment for any of their courses, including help with citation styles, visit Bierce Writing Lab
- Bierce Math Lab: Bierce Math Lab offers support for students having difficulty in entry-level math classes. Drop-in hours are available every weekday
- Tutorial Services: Peer tutors are available to students in a wide variety of General Education courses, with emphasis on classes in math and the sciences
- Learning Assistants Program: Specific sections of many courses include a trained Learning Assistant, who holds regular study sessions for students. The Learning Assistant Program provides assistance in the classroom throughout the semester, with professors and learning assistants working as a team encourage student success.
- Tutorial Services are located on the third floor of the Polsky Building, near College of Applied Sciences and Technology Advising
- Polsky Math Lab: The Polsky Math Lab provides one-on-one assistance to students having difficulty in basic math courses, College of Applied Sciences and Technology math courses and entry level math courses
- Polsky Writing Lab: The Polsky Writing Lab provides one-on-one assistance with all phases of the writing process, including subject development and organization, grammar and citation. Help is available for writing assignments from any course.
- Polsky Study Skills Lab: The Polsky Study Skills Lab helps students develop stronger study skills, including reading comprehension, test preparation, note taking, time management and vocabulary development
- Appointments for tutoring sessions are recommended and can be made by calling 330-972-7046. A limited number of walk-in sessions are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
General Student Services
New Student Orientation
Office of Financial Aid
Information Technology Services
Phone – 330-972-6888