Music, Performance: Orchestral Conducting, MM
The degree Master of Music is offered by the School of Music with options in music education, performance, composition, theory, music history and literature, and accompanying.
- Students must have earned an undergraduate baccalaureate degree in music or the equivalent as determined by the department.
- The Graduate School’s requirements for admission.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- The music education options require an interview with music education faculty.
- The performance and accompanying options require an audition on the student’s major instrument/voice. Please contact the coordinator of Graduate Studies for an audition time.
- The option in orchestral, choral, and wind conducting require the applicant to successfully pass an interview and audition with the orchestra conducting faculty member and an audition on his/her particular applied instrument.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
The student should consult with the coordinator of Graduate Studies in Music for additional information regarding the individualized nature of each option.
For the Voice Performance and Piano Accompanying options a proficiency equal to two semesters each of Italian, German, and French is required for completion of the Master of Music degree. There is no substitution for this requirement for the MM Voice Performance. Piano Accompanying degree program (only) may substitute Diction I and II for this requirement. For details on how to show language proficiency please contact the Graduate Coordinator for the School of Music.
After completion of all course work, the student must pass an examination covering the graduate program. This examination is individualized for each candidate’s unique program.
Performance Option: Orchestral Conducting
|Music Core Courses||8|
|Select eight credits of the following:|
|Musical Styles & Analysis II|
|Musical Styles & Analysis III|
|Musical Styles & Analysis IV|
|Music History Survey: Baroque|
|Music History Survey: Classic & Romantic|
|Music History Survey: Music Since 1900|
|Major Required Courses||29|
|Advanced Conducting: Instrumental (course to be repeated for a total of four credits)|
|Teaching & Literature: Brass Instruments|
|Teaching & Literature: Woodwind Instruments|
|Teaching & Literature: Percussion Instruments|
|Teaching & Literature: String Instruments|
|Seminar in Music Education|
|Concert Choir 1|
Applied Music 2
Participation in Orchestra required for all semesters in residence.
Eight credits of 7520:6xx Applied Music required.